Chapter 10 & 11 Thought Questions
1. Why do you think Atticus never let on that he was an expert marksman?
2. Why does Atticus consider it a sin to kill a mockingbird but okay to kill a mad dog?
3. Explain Atticus's definition of courage at the end of Chapter 11.
Chapter 11 Study Guide Questions
1. Describe Mrs. Dubose.
2. Why does Jem destroy Mrs. Dubose’s flower garden?
3. What does Atticus mean when he says, “This case, Tom Robinson’s case, is something that
goes to the essence of a man’s conscience—Scout, I couldn’t go to church and worship God if I didn’t try to help that man”?
4. What is Jem’s punishment for ruining the flower garden?
5. Why is Mrs. Dubose so sick?
6. What does Atticus tell Jem was the one thing Mrs. Dubose wanted to do before she died?
7. What does Mrs. Dubose give Jem?
8. What is the reason Atticus wanted Jem to meet Mrs. Dubose?